With Burley Suspended, What’s Next at D-Tackle

CLEMSON — No one was happier to see Vic Burley back at practice last week than Dabo Swinney.

The Clemson head coach was grinning when he was asked about his defensive tackle following this past Thursday’s scrimmage at Memorial Stadium. Burley had missed almost two weeks of camp with an undisclosed injury.

“Yep,” Swinney said when asked if Burley was back at practice. “I actually noticed Vic today. At least three times. So, all good stuff. I noticed him three times, that I can think of. It was good to see him out there.”

However, those good feelings all went away early Saturday morning when the 6-foot-4, 315-pound defensive tackle was arrested by the Clemson University Police Department and charged with disorderly conduct.

“I have made the decision to suspend Vic from our football team indefinitely. We are extremely disappointed by his actions and decisions,” Swinney said in a statement.

Clemson defensive tackle Vic Burley works on a drill during fall camp on Friday, August 7, 2026. Burley was suspended indefinitely from the team on Saturday following an early morning arrest. (Bart Boatwright/The Clemson Insider)

Burley’s suspension leaves the Tigers in a pickle as they head into the season opener with LSU in two weeks. Already thin at defensive tackle due to the spring injury to transfer Kourtney Kelly (ACL) and the loss of Hevin Brown-Shuler to a cancer diagnosis, Clemson really could not afford to lose another player.

But here the Tigers are, two weeks from traveling to Baton Rouge, La., and three men down at defensive tackle. The position was already an area of concern. The only position group Swinney identified without a true alpha in the room.

“I think they are a bunch of nobodies,” the head coach said. “That is kind of who they are. I don’t think there is anybody at that position, yet who’s earned it. I think there is talent there. There are a lot of good players there, but I have not really seen an alpha yet. I think I have got one at every other position, but I have not seen one at D-tackle yet. I am waiting.”

With Burley suspended indefinitely, the Tigers will likely move JUCO transfer Andy Burburija into the mix, if he was not already there with Burley missing most of camp with an injury.

Clemson’s starters, though it is not official, are likely Oklahoma transfer Markus Strong and Amare Adams. Burburija, of course, moves up in the rotation, as well as Champ Thompson. Former four-star prospect Makhi Williams Lee, who missed all of last season due to an injury, will also likely move up.

Devarrick Woods, who transferred to Clemson in May, brings experience as a graduate player, and will likely be in the three-man rotation at the defensive tackle position. He played 29 career games across Hinds (Miss.) Community College and Texas State from 2023-25. The 6-foot-3, 285-pound tackle tallied 82 tackles (15.5 for loss) and 6.5 sacks across three seasons. 

Freshman Kam Cody will likely fall in line behind Woods. Of course, fifth-year senior Caden Story, who can play defensive end and tackle, will also be available, while graduate Dietrick Pennington, who moved over to defensive tackle last week, is another depth piece on early downs and short yardage situations. Swinney said after the scrimmage that Pennington will still be used on the offensive line, as well.